Tuesday 24 September 2013

Transparency butterflies

I'm a little obsessed with butterflies. It might be the acceptable adult version of my childhood obsession with fairies. I found this tutorial detailing how to create absolutely amazing butterflies with stamps and alcohol ink, neither of which I have, so I improvised. I found images of butterflies online and printed them directly onto the transparencies, then filled them in with kids' glass deco pens by Bostik. It worked quite well and I'm very impressed with the result.

The butterflies can take a little while to cut out neatly, although that time should be cut down with a good craft knife. Those with a little more detail obviously take longer to outline and you do have to wait for each colour to dry before adding more, but generally you can produce a good sized batch in an afternoon.


The four small ones in the top left are glued to little pegs so that they can be clipped onto things. Currently, I have them on my curtains. The two below that are glued onto kebab sticks so I can arrange them in my plants (all succulents because I have a tendency to kill plants with ease). The two large ones are glued to magnets and are on my fridge, as you can see below.

No comments:

Post a Comment